By Anna Lind
Yoni steaming, also known as vaginal steaming, is an ancient practice that has gained popularity in recent years. It involves sitting over a pot of hot water that contains medicinal herbs and allowing the herbal steam to permeate the vulva, vagina, and womb space.
This practice is believed to have several benefits, including stimulating the production of hormones to maintain uterine health, aiding regular menstrual cycles, promoting circulation, and aiding in emotional healing and reconnection with oneself.
The Ancient Practice of Yoni Steaming
Yoni steaming, or vaginal steaming, is a female reproductive health practice that has been embraced by women across the globe for centuries. The word "yoni" is a Sanskrit term that translates to mean the "source, vagina, abode, womb." This ancient practice involves sitting over a pot of hot water that contains medicinal herbs and allowing the warmth of the herbal steam to permeate the exterior of the vagina. Often, a blanket or towel is wrapped around the body from the waist down to create a vaginal steam sauna.
The practice of yoni steaming has roots in various cultures, including the indigenous people of the Mayans, as well as in places such as Korea, Japan, China, Greece, the Philippines, and India.
This holistic self-care practice is believed to offer a different level of presence with the yoni, fostering emotional healing and reconnection with oneself. This practice is seen as a self-care ritual dedicated to reproductive system well-being and womb space, allowing the unfelt things to be felt and reconnecting with one's natural essence.
Benefits of Yoni SteamingYoni steaming is believed to have several benefits for female reproductive health. Some of the potential benefits include:
- Stimulating Hormone Production: Yoni steaming is believed to stimulate the production of hormones to maintain uterine health and aid in regular menstrual cycles.
- Promoting Circulation: The herbal steam is thought to promote circulation in the pelvic area, which can be beneficial for reproductive health.
- Emotional Healing: Yoni steaming is also believed to aid in emotional healing and reconnection with oneself. The practice is seen as a self-care ritual dedicated to reproductive system well-being and womb space, offering a different level of presence with the yoni.
How to Yoni SteamTo perform a yoni steam at home, you will need a pot of hot water, a yoni steam seat or stool, and a selection of medicinal herbs. Here are the basic steps to perform a yoni steam at home:
- Prepare the Herbs: Select a combination of medicinal herbs for your steam. Common herbs used for yoni steaming include rosemary, basil, oregano, and rose petals.
- Boil the Water: Bring a pot of water to a boil, then add the selected herbs to the water.
- Set Up the Steam Seat: Place the yoni steam seat or stool over the pot of water, then sit on the seat and wrap a blanket or towel around your waist to create a steam tent.
- Steam for 20-30 Minutes: Allow the herbal steam to permeate the vulva, vagina, and womb space for 20-30 minutes, then carefully exit the steam tent and rest for a few minutes.
Different Herbs for Yoni SteamingThere are many different herbs that can be used for yoni steaming, each with its own unique benefits. Some common herbs used for yoni steaming include:
- Rosemary: Rosemary is believed to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a popular choice for yoni steaming.
- Basil: Basil is thought to have antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it a good choice for women who are prone to vaginal infections.
- Oregano: Oregano is believed to have antifungal and antiviral properties, making it a good choice for women who are prone to yeast infections.
- Rose Petals: Rose petals are believed to have a calming effect on the body and mind, making them a popular choice for yoni steaming.
When to Yoni SteamYoni steaming can be done at various times in a woman's life, and the frequency of steaming can depend on individual needs. Some common times to consider yoni steaming include:
- After Menstruation: Yoni steaming after menstruation is believed to help cleanse and support the uterus.
- Before Ovulation: Yoni steaming before ovulation is thought to help prepare the uterus for potential implantation.
- After Childbirth: Yoni steaming after childbirth is believed to help cleanse and support the uterus as it returns to its pre-pregnancy state.
- During Menopause: Yoni steaming during menopause is thought to help support the body through this transition.
While many women find yoni steaming to be a beneficial practice, it's important to approach it with caution. Yoni steaming may alter the pH balance of the vagina and lead to infections long term. If you have any concerns about yoni steaming or if you have a history of vaginal infections, it's best to consult with a healthcare provider before trying this practice.